Pages

Friday, January 9, 2015

Prayer: Our Greatest Privilege

I know I usually start my articles off with a question so this time I'll start with a statement...something profound.

We, as Christians, are given many privileges, out of all of them prayer is the most powerful.

Now for the question (s): How many times do we pray each day without truly realizing the gift God has given us? How many times do we kneel without taking a moments thought what we are praying for? Do we realized the power that Christ has placed in our hands?

"And this is the confidence that we have in Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him." 1 John 5:14-15

The old saying is, "Careful what you wish for." But I'd like to say, "Careful what you pray for." What is more powerful? Wishing on a star that has no ears, or praying to the God of the universe who knows your every thought? 

I think that we Christians have the tendency to forget how personal a friend Christ is, and fall into the trap, thinking of Him as a far away God who has better things to do than listen to my silly requests. 

NEWS FLASH: Not only does God hear your every word, but He answers them too. Does that mean you always get what you pray for? No!

"...if we ask anything according to His will..."


 Christ's timing, plan and purpose is perfect, sometimes (most of the time) our plans don't fit, that's why He's God and we're His people.

As I said in my last article, we can fight battles in our own, small, dark bedroom with just prayer. God isn't some super-human spirit that created the world and then left us to figure everything out and fight on our own. He's there, with you, right now! And He's always there. 

Prayer is the greatest asset we have as ambassadors, the greatest tool we have as workers, the greatest resource we have as stewards and the greatest weapon we have as soldiers.

"Is any sick among you? let him call the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the LORD: And the prayer of faith, shall save the sick, and the LORD shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him." James 5:14-15

Some of you might be wondering what brought on this article. I'd say someone's been prodding at my heart to write it this past week. I've had event after event when I prayed for something and he answered my prayer. First our camera stopped working, and we need it to photograph merchandise, and on top of that we're taking a trip this weekend and wanted to take it with us. I thought it was ridiculous to pray over a camera, but I did, and (after trying everything in my power to get it working and failing) it worked, just like that. Right after that I was having trouble with some very stubborn tracks for a race track I was selling. Again I though, "Oh please, it's a toy why in the world should I pray over these?" But I did and guess what? They came a part! Just like that.

The simple fact is, God rules over all, living and not so living. He commands all, controls all and knows all. Yeah, some of those prayers may be really silly at times (in your eyes) but remember God commands us to pray to him.


"Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all things that come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man." Luke 21:36

"Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: for the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." Matthew 26:21

I know those little things you really don't think are "big enough" to pray for seem, well, small. But guess what, "...your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him." (Matthew 6:8) So whether you chose to ask Him formally or not, he already knows.

But if I may make a suggestion, take advantage of this great privilege God had given us!

Prayer can either be the best tool to rule a nation or the best weapon to conquer the world.  





No comments:

Post a Comment